Program Assistant, Central and West Africa – (Job #2022)
National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Program Assistant. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Program Assistant will provide day-to-day administrative and programmatic support primarily to the Central and West Africa program staff.
- Assist the Africa Program’s Senior and Associate Director and staff with general administrative duties.
- Assist with intake, processing, and review of grant proposals from nongovernmental organizations working on democracy support programs in Central and West Africa.
- Assist with drafting and editing project summaries and budgets for approval by the NED board.
- Maintain the team calendar, schedule internal meetings and monitor deadlines.
- Maintain and track internal budgets and generate data and identify trends for team planning purposes.
- Organize events and meetings.
- Communicate with grantees and applicants about the NED Africa program and the proposal application process.
- Attend and report on relevant meetings and other events.
- Conduct research on current political developments in the region.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Political Science, History, or a related discipline is required;
- Knowledge of political and social issues in Africa;
- Minimum of 1 year of work experience in an office environment;
- Administrative support experience;
- Proficient in French;
- Proficient in the use of MS Office Suite, including Microsoft Excel.
- Other Qualifications:
- Proficiency in other relevant languages of the region is a benefit;
- Experience working with databases and analyzing statistics;
- Experience in grant making and democratic development is desirable;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Attention to detail, and ability to multi-task;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Works well in a team environment.