The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Senior Manager Program and Operational Security The position is based in Washington, D.C.
The NED seeks a Senior Manager for Program and Operational Security, who will be responsible for managing the security needs of 100+ staff members who work in high-risk environments around the world, with a particular focus on ICT and travel security. The Senior Manager will serve as a member of the VP for Programs leadership team and report to the Senior Manager for Programs. The position is based in Washington, DC, with occasional travel to high-risk areas.
The Senior Manager will ensure robust coordination across the entire organization for all aspects of staff security while on business travel or directly related to their professional work and provide assistance as needed. This will include working with Human Resources to procure appropriate insurance coverage, Operations on medical and emergency evacuation services, IT on digital security, and Government Relations and Public Relations on PR responses. The Senior Manager will also liaise with counterparts in the nonprofit sector and State Department.
The Senior Manager will be responsible for designing and providing training, either directly or through the procurement of outside experts. Current training areas cover basic travel security, conflict-zone travel security training, basic IT hygiene, and ICT travel security. The Senior Manager will be responsible for ensuring training is commiserate with risk exposure and aligned with NED policy and practice.
Policy Development and Implementation
The Senior Manager will be responsible for the development and management of all staff-related security policies, except those under the authority of the COO. This will include revising travel security policies, including risk assessment, crisis response mechanisms, check-in procedures, and provision of appropriate technological and first aid equipment. The Senior Manager will also be responsible for the implementation of policies among staff and management.
Threat Response and Incident Reporting
The Senior Manager will be responsible for providing staff with rapid and professional support in response to any work-related security incident, whether while on travel or on social media. The Senior Manager will either provide the support directly or procures external support as necessary. The Senior Manager will be responsible for incident reporting and lessons learned follow-up.
The Manager will be responsible for all policies and procedures related to international travel security, chair an intra-departmental travel security management team, liaise with service providers, and ensure staff are trained and maintain a high degree of knowledge.
- BA in relevant field; cyber or travel security certifications preferable.
- 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Professional experience with international organizations with high-risk profile. Democracy, journalism, or human rights experience preferred.
- International, field-based experience in difficult or hostile environments.
- Understanding of training methodology; training experience preferable.
- Other Qualifications:
- The position requires occasional travel to difficult and dangerous environments; availability to respond to emergencies on short-notice and outside of work hours; and demonstrated ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to incorporate broad range of information and to develop a risk-based approach to mitigate and respond to threats.
- Strong networks in the field of travel and cybersecurity
- Deep understanding of complex cyber threats; secure use of wide range of social media platforms; and travel-related ICT security protocols and tools.
- Knowledge of broader IT security issues to ensure effective communication with IT department, which is responsible for IT security.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly organized.
- Ability to coordinate and engage with a diverse professional staff and wide range of departments, including IT, HR, Public Affairs, Operations, and Finance.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-stress environment.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references. Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or email@example.com.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.