The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant-making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Program Assistant to provide programmatic and administrative support to the Fellowships Program, based at NED’s International Forum for Democratic Studies, in Washington, D.C. This is a non-exempt level position.
The Program Assistant shoulders a wide range of administrative, logistical, financial, programmatic, and other responsibilities in support of NED’s Fellowships Program, an international exchange program that hosts Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows, Visiting Fellows, and Hurford Youth Fellows.
- Reports to the Director, Fellowships Program;
- Contributes to the cultural, intellectual, and collegial life of the international exchange program;
- Facilitates the Reagan-Fascell program’s annual competition;
- Develops content for promotional materials, publications, website, and social media;
- Coordinates administrative and financial procedures, including purchase orders, stipend payments, travel arrangements, and housing;
- Assists with fellowship events, including scheduling and managing day-of-logistics;
- Provides administrative support to Fellows, including the special needs of “democrats at risk”;
- Contributes to other projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science or a related field is required;
- 1–2 years of work experience in a field related to democracy and human rights.
- Interest and experience working with democracy advocates, civil society leaders, and human rights defenders a plus;
- Computer proficiency. Familiarity with social media and web development a plus.
- Other Qualifications:
- Knowledge/awareness of global democracy and human rights issues;
- Interest in and experience with international exchange programs a plus;
- Experience with budgeting and database management a plus;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent verbal, written administrative, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail, and ability to multi-task;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Works well in a team environment.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries.