The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Program Assistant for the Grantmaking Resource Center (GRC). This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Program Assistant will do the proposal intake for NED’s quarterly proposal review process, and liaise with the Grantmaking Program staff to ensure a smooth proposal intake and review process, implement process changes, develop written guidelines and resources about the proposal intake and review for the Grantmaking Program, maintain the Hex grantmaking database, and support learning and best practices in Grantmaking at the NED. The Program Assistant works collaboratively with the other PAs in the GRC to achieve the objectives of the position.
- Working with GRC teammates to support the quarterly board cycle (proposal intake, data entry for all proposals, scheduling review meetings for regional Program staff, Grants, and Compliance, review and tracking of board materials, and preparing for the quarterly board meetings);
- Act as the front line HelpDesk for the Hex grants management system, online application, and process issues;
- Updating grantee information in tracking sheets and databases and generating periodic reports using the database for various audiences at the NED;
- Helping to write and edit materials about procedures and technology systems for manuals, guidebooks, and other technical documents;
- Liaising with the staff of two or more regional sections, Grants, and Compliance to keep the GRC team updated on team news and updating the regional teams on new grant making procedures;
- Assisting with the orientation of new Regional Program, Grants, and Compliance staff to the Grantmaking Program; databases; and any other relevant grantmaking systems;
- Supporting GRC teammates with their responsibilities outside of preparations for each quarter’s board meetings (routing proposals and reports; recording and posting trainings; updating the intranet; coordinating planning meetings)
- Maintaining GRC files;
- Supporting the Sr. Director of the Grantmaking Resource Center as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Sr. Director of the Grantmaking Resource Center.
- 1+ years of administrative support experience, preferably at a grantmaking organization or an educational institution;
- 1+ years of experience with customer service, student services, counseling, tutoring, teaching, or training;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Excel experience a plus;
- Proficient in Microsoft SharePoint and/or grantmaking database a plus.
- Other Qualifications:
- Proficiency in one of the following languages preferred: Arabic, Farsi, French, Mandarin, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish, or Russian;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English;
- Attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to multi-task and manage diverse activities;
- Works well in a team environment.
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, one of which should be a supervisor. Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.