The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Program Officer for the Africa regional program team. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Program Officer will work with the Africa region senior program staff and directors to manage and direct the Endowment’s grants program, including monitoring and assessment of projects.
- Design country strategies based on political developments and NED funding ability.
- Assess proposals in preparation for quarterly Board meetings.
- Travel internationally on a regular basis.
- Provide support for Africa-related initiatives and events.
- Monitor and provide compliance assistance to existing grantees.
- Track political developments around the world.
- Maintain contacts with organizations and individuals in Washington and abroad working to advance democracy and human rights.
Qualifications (position is commensurate with experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Political Science, International Development or a related discipline; Master’s degree preferred.
- Significant experience in nonprofit work.
- Experience in democracy-related projects and programs required for:
- Level 5 (PO) 4+ years
- 2+ years of living and working in the region.
- Experience in financial monitoring and reporting.
- Knowledge of program evaluation techniques.
- Other Qualifications:
- Proficiency in Portuguese is required.
- Regional knowledge of one or more countries in the Africa region.
- In-depth understanding of political issues and trends in Angola or Mozambique.
- Ability to travel to countries within the region.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain professionalism under pressure.
- High degree of organization and initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player, including coordination and facilitation skills.
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, one of which should be a supervisor. Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.