About the International Foundation for Election Systems (IFES):
IFES advances democracy for a better future. We collaborate with civil society, public institutions and the private sector to build resilient democracies that deliver for everyone. As the global leader in the promotion and protection of democracy, our technical assistance and applied research develops trusted electoral bodies capable of conducting credible elections; effective and accountable governing institutions; civic and political processes in which all people can safely and equally participate; and innovative ways in which technology and data can positively serve elections and democracy. Since1987, IFES has worked in more than 145 countries, from developing to mature democracies.
The greatest assets of IFES are our team members. IFES offers competitive benefits and pay, as well as the opportunity to work in a dynamic and collaborative environment. Every member of the IFES team is responsible for carrying out the mission of IFES and integrating IFES values into their work every day: Commitment to Excellence, Effective Communication, High Quality Decision-Making, Accountability, Teamwork and Collaboration.
The Communications Officer is part of a dynamic global team driving a strategic communications and advocacy strategy in support of the IFES mission and Strategic Plan. The individual in this position will be a talented communications professional who will contribute to a wide range of activities collaborating with colleagues across IFES to produce strategic and compelling content for sharing across communication channels with key stakeholders. This individual will be a valued member of the growing Strategic Communications and Advocacy Team, reporting to the Director.
IFES COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement:
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Government Contractors, International Foundation for Electoral Systems has adopted a policy to comply with the requirements that all employees assigned to a federal contract or contract-like instrument be fully vaccinated before their start date. Therefore, all IFES positions will require proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. Please note, any submission of falsifying records or misleading information would result in a dismissal of your employment application
What you’ll do:
- Serve as a strong staff writer and editor for IFES global external and executive communications.
- Provide compelling storytelling and excellent professional writing for various types of publications (reports, election FAQs, white papers, one-pagers, etc.), human interest and success stories, website and e-newsletter content, interviews, video scripts, social media, marketing materials and other communications products.
- Post and collaborate with other colleagues in drafting, editing and posting to IFES.org and IFES’ social media accounts, including executive, expert and program accounts.
- Conduct media relations, including outreach, press releases, earned media pieces, and lists.
- Plan and produce in-person and virtual events and serve as part of the core team responsible for legacy events such as the US Elections Program and annual Democracy Awards Dinner and special initiatives such as the IFES.org redesign and 35th anniversary.
- Engage with consultants and vendors, and assist with procurement, deliverables and deadlines as assigned.
- Work with colleagues across IFES to ensure adherence to publication production process and active use of the content calendar.
- Contribute to digital content creation, including producing video or infographics.
- Undertake desktop publishing, creating infographics and layouts of communication materials, as assigned.
- Provide updates to Communications Standard Operating Procedures; Communications Policy; Agora/SharePoint/Teams pages and files; Style Guide; and other project management tools, policies, procedures, guidelines and templates to ensure knowledge management for Communications Team is well-maintained and comprehensive.
How you’ll do it:
- Communicate and collaborate effectively across IFES teams to deliver results.
- Set and adhere to deadlines and quick turnaround times for rapid response, as needed, while prioritizing and working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ensure products adhere to IFES style and branding guidelines and meet quality standards.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong, native-level English. Knowledge of other languages a plus.
- A minimum of 4-6 years’ experience supporting communications, including through internships.
- Interest in working for a mission-driven, global development organization and in democracy, human rights and governance issues.
- Skilled and versatile writer with examples of succinct, clear and compelling prose.
- A mastery of English grammar and experience adhering to editorial style guides.
- Exceptionally strong MS Office and tools skills, including Excel, Power Point and Teams.
- Adept at working with various databases and applications, including experience using a content management system (CMS) such as Drupal or WordPress.
- Strong organizational/project and event management skills with an ability to work on multiple issues and concurrent projects efficiently in a highly matrixed and deadline-driven environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail, thoroughness and accuracy.
- Open-mindedness, curiosity and intellectual integrity; ability to approach subjects fairly and follow the facts where they lead.
- Growth and mission-driven, striving for peak performance and welcoming of feedback.
- Strong collaboration and team participant skills and productively engages with others at varying levels of seniority internally and externally.
- Ability to work reliably on deadline without close oversight.
- Flexibility to work some odd hours—including some evenings and weekends.
- A sense of humor required, as well as empathy, kindness, honesty, good judgment and a no-job-too-small attitude.
- Excellent design aesthetic; strong digital graphic design and data visualization skills are a plus.
- Experience producing virtual events, video and other multi-media, such as podcasting, a plus.
- Experience working with a global organization, particularly an International Non-Government Organization (INGO) and directly in the Democracy, Human Rights and Governance sphere is a plus.
- Experience with press relations or advocacy a plus.