Strategic Leadership & Governance Support
- Represent Accounting and Finance perspective in various cross-organization working groups and special initiatives (e.g. cost recovery, expat compliance, allocation methodologies, etc.), strategic working groups, and other cross-departmental planning committees.
- Responsible for preparation of required financial reports for Board and Committees.
- Provide key staff support to Investment & Audit Committee (coordination, agenda development, etc.); and serve on 401K Management Committee.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Develop internal controls to safeguard the assets of the organization.
- Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls, established policies and procedures, and ensure integrity, suitability, accuracy and timeliness of internal information.
- Develop finance-related policies that appropriately address risk.
- Oversee compliance with payroll-related regulations for US paid employees, including expatriates.
- Plan and manage month end closing processes, financial statements preparation, external audit(s), annual tax filings and other statutory reporting requirements.
- Work in coordination with CFO to manage risk by securing adequate insurance policies.
- Identify and monitor financial risks and develop appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Direct the organization's accounting unit and functions, including establishment and maintenance of the organization's accounting principles, practices, procedures, and initiatives.
- Coordinate work of Accounting with International Finance & Administration to ensure smooth functioning and efficient workflow.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements to ensure continued high functioning of the department.
- Develop and maintain a staffing structure and high functioning team to effectively meet the accounting and financial reporting needs of the organization and provide high quality, timely service.
- Responsible for organization’s cash management. Perform cash flow monitoring, forecasting, and planning.
- Monitor investment portfolio performance and recommend changes as needed.
- Ensure timely, accurate, and relevant financial reporting.
- Provide ad-hoc and standard analysis, trend reporting, and sensitivity analysis to inform financial management decisions.
- Provide input to organizational dashboard(s) for financial Key Performance Indicators.
- Manage Accounting unit and other cost center budgets as assigned in close coordination with the CFO, assist in annual budget development and forecasting.
Policies & Systems
- Ensure that proper internal controls are in place and functioning as designed.
- Regularly review and update financial policies (including travel policies) to verify that they remain relevant and appropriate to ensure compliance and best practices while supporting efficient operations.
- Develop and maintain finance and accounting systems and processes that meet the financial management needs of the organization.
- Represent the organization to financial partners including auditors, vendors, funders, partners, public officials, and network organizations.
- Responsible for Project Start Up process from signing of donor agreement or contract through successful set up of codes, program folders and participation in project start up meeting.
- Responsible for full cycle processing of contracts with consultants and contractors: develop policy and procedures, as well as contracts templates. Manage/oversee contract processing, including training new staff.
- Review agreements with donors and clients to ensure satisfactory terms for IYF, noting legal, compliance, reporting, and other requirements.
- Provide regular and special information to the CFO related to financial performance, cash flows, investments.
- Supervise Accounting Manager.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the CFO.
- Ability to learn and to work independently as well as in a collegial manner, as a team player, is essential. Requires attention to detail, reliability, good time management and good organizational skills. Accuracy with numbers is necessary.
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking and innovative problem-solving skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
- Strong financial modeling, budgeting, and analytical skills utilizing advanced Excel techniques.
- Communications skills must be effective and courteous, requiring high integrity when dealing with restricted and/or confidential information.
- Leadership skills as a change facilitator and exceptional service orientation.
- Effective supervisory skills including recruiting, mentoring, and developing staff.
- Knowledge in a major foreign language would be an advantage. Oral and written English fluency is required.
- Flexibility to respond to periods of high pressure is required. Some domestic or international travel may be required.
- Commitment to the organization’s core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Requires CPA, BA in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration (with an emphasis in accounting or finance).
- 10 to 12 years of professional experience managing accounting, budget, and financial reporting operations for non-profit organizations.
- Requires detailed understanding of GAAP, particularly rules for international non-profit organizations.
- Experience with US government grants and contracts required.
- Proficient in the design and maintenance of accounting and financial management systems, internal controls, finance policies and procedures development, and business planning and analysis.
- Understanding of contractual agreement structures and the ability to effectively coordinate legal counsel support.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, general ledger, budgeting and financial reporting packages. Infor Cloud SunSystems accounting, Infor Q&A and QuickBooks multi-currency accounting and reporting package experience.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
Please submit the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Controller" in the subject line:
- Completed IYF Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications from people of all cultures