The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) has been assisting the Government of Republic of Congo (ROC) to manage its wildlife and habitats in national parks, reserves, and managed forests for almost 30 years. It has become one of the largest field programs in WCS’s global portfolio in terms of operating budget, number of staff and extent of its field conservation portfolio. The program is focused on a number of core conservation sites around the country, including the Nouabalé-Ndoki National Park (governed under a 25-year Public-Private-Partnership between WCS and the Government), the Lac Télé Community Reserve and a substantial area of intervening forest managed under timber certification. The WCS ROC program also has an emerging marine conservation program and is engaged in substantial policy support work.
WCS is seeking a dynamic and experienced individual to lead its work in the country.
The Country Director is responsible for the overall implementation of WCS’s activities in ROC. This includes the development of program strategic priorities, communication and coordination with the government and other partners inside and outside the country; and recruitment and oversight of staff to implement these strategic priorities. The ROC Program is managed within WCS’s Central Africa Regional Program.
- Successful experience developing, managing, and overseeing the implementation of field conservation programs, with at least ten years’ field experience in Africa.
- MSc or PhD in conservation, ecology, or related discipline preferred
- Proven fundraising experience for conservation from public and private sources
- Demonstrated capacity in the oversight of large operational budgets
- Demonstrate leadership and personnel management capacity in a multi-cultural work environment
- A track-record of success in conservation strategy, implementation, and fundraising
- Ability to work under difficult conditions and in security sensitive area
- Strong commitment to achievement of WCS’s conservation mission.
- English and French language proficiency required
- Lead the WCS ROC program in consultation with the Regional Director for Central Africa and the Africa Program team based in New York.
- Act as legal representative of WCS in ROC, working in consultation with the Regional Director and with the WCS Office of General Counsel.
- Lead and manage all WCS staff and activities in ROC, including recruitment, evaluation and career development.
- Fundraise from public and private sources for the ROC Program, in consultation with the Central Africa Regional Program, and working with the Africa Program team, Program Development and Global Resources departments in the WCS New York office.
- Prepare and implement annual country workplans and budgets and approve project workplans and budgets.
- Represent the ROC Program to donors, media, the Government of Congo, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other global WCS initiatives including but not limited to the WCS Marine Program, Wildlife Health Program and the Conservation Solutions team.
Expected travel: Approximately 20%, including travel to field sites within Congo and donor/technical meetings outside the country.
Start date: 1 July, 2019