About the Position
At Namati, our people are our greatest resource. Our team of more than 150 passionate advocates is spread across six country offices and remote locations around the world, representing different languages, customs, legal systems, and operating environments. And yet we are united—through our unyielding commitment to our mission and through a core of deeply held common values (see our cultural principles here).
We’re seeking a Deputy Director of Finance to strengthen the financial and operational infrastructure that makes our work possible, both globally and within all of our operational countries. Creative, solutions-oriented thinking is essential for success in this role. The right candidate will bring outstanding technical finance & accounting skills, strong financial stewardship, and a relentless drive to realize our mission.
The right candidate will be excited to learn under the direction of our CFO, and can potentially grow into that role in the future. Our new Deputy Director will be essential in managing Namati’s continued growth and scale, while helping to ensure our financial health.
The Deputy Director, Finance will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will be responsible for the following:
Finance and Accounting
- Review program and project financial reports; provide analysis and insight to ensure our financial resources are leveraged for maximum impact in our overall strategic plan
- Provide support to Namati staff on financial and tax reporting
- Lead in the development of program budgets (with program directors and leadership) and participate in the creation of the annual organizational budget
- Assist in the development and implementation of financial/operational policies and procedures to ensure proper internal controls, safeguarding of assets, regulatory compliance, and the reliability of our financial statements and reports
- Provide support to Namati staff in the annual organizational audit and other program reviews or audits, including follow-up to improve processes
Development and grantmaking
- Communicate with potential funders on all global and local partner financial issues
- Manage donor, funder, and project-specific budgets and reports; support program staff in developing financial information in order to submit funding proposals
- Provide guidance on grantmaking to our local partner organizations, including the development of guidelines and procedures, and financial oversight of grant implementation
- Track disbursements against commitments to all grantees, subcontractors, consultants, and vendors
- Draft, review and approve grant, contract, MOU, and other agreements on behalf of Namati
- Lead a risk management program for Namati, to include insurance coverage for personnel and property, strong internal controls to prevent fraud, and management of decisions to minimize risk
- Lead organizational processes and procedures related to contracts, facilities and leases, and foreign registration and compliance
- Provide support to the Senior Global Systems Officer on organizational processes and procedures related to inventory, property, and IT resources for Namati Inc.; provide global review and support of the same
- Provide support to key Namati staff and external providers on HR policies and procedures, onboarding, and compliance
- Work with CFO and other team members on compensation and benchmarking to ensure that Namati continues to attract and retain talent as it grows
- Be the point of contact for Namati’s external HR services provider in financial matters related to fringe benefits and benefits vendor relationships
What you might have tackled in the last month
- Participated in a call with the Director of Development and India Program Director to help translate the India program’s vision into a budget for a new prospective institutional funder and provided feedback on the draft budget
- Met with finance team colleagues based in Myanmar and facilitated a working session to build team’s capacity in financial reporting
- Provided guidance to the Mozambique team on selecting a strong candidate for their open Accounting Manager role
- Compiled financial information for three quarterly reports for institutional funders, as well as reviewed a draft funder report for Namati’s Citizenship team.
- Worked with the new Deputy Director of Operations in Sierra Leone to conduct a review of their program’s financial policies and procedures and identified opportunities for improvement
Career built on a wide breadth of finance roles: You bring 7+ years experience in a wide breadth of roles and responsibilities in finance, accounting, and/or operations. You consider yourself a bit of a generalist because you’ve spent considerable time in each of those various domains. And your career path demonstrates increasing responsibility with each role you’ve held.
Global NGO Experience: You’ve been working in a global NGO for 3+ years so you know the ins and outs of working at a distributed, decentralized organization like ours, and understand how important financial stewardship and risk management is to our effectiveness. With that, you have a strong understanding of the unique challenges (and best practices) that come along with working in the sector.
Growth-orientation: You’re always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfill our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, and anyone else.
Creativity and solutions-orientation: You are relentless in finding ways to make things happen and to enable our work to flourish in the world.
Collaborative nature and service-orientation: You greet everyone you encounter with humility and kindness. You know that collaboration is the way to move work forward and achieve our mission.
Sound judgment and integrity: You are well-regarded for your judgment and are known for making reasoned, well-thought out decisions, even in the face of limited or conflicting information.
Process Orientation: You have a track record for building and improving processes. You can pinpoint where the gaps are and provide solutions that optimize organizational practices and get results.
Washington, DC. Please note you must already be legally eligible to work in the United States to be considered for the position. Due to COVID-19, Namati remains a remote-first organization for the foreseeable future and until further notice. There are zero expectations of in-office presence and we strongly encourage everyone to work from home.
Compensation & benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position with a potential offer range of $85,000 – $95,000. Final compensation will vary based on the depth of experience that the selected candidate brings.
Namati offers an excellent benefits package, which includes-
- Health insurance- Namati pays 80% of the base plan premium for individuals, and 50% for dependents
- 3 weeks' paid vacation (increases to 4 weeks after two years of service), 12 sick days, 11 federal holidays (plus the week between Christmas and New Years), 3 personal days, 6 weeks' parental leave
- 401(k)- Namati contributes 5% of your salary plus matches your contribution up to an additional 5%
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking (Washington DC metro area)
- Access to professional development opportunities
Please complete our online application form. We'll begin reviewing applications in early September but applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please. Namati is an Equal Opportunity Employer.