TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
TechnoServe is seeking a Director of Talent to oversee a traditional portfolio of talent-related activities including on-line and in-person training programs, coaching and mentoring programs, employee onboarding, performance management, employee engagement, and diversity and inclusion programs. All programs will be designed and rolled out to a global staff in approximately 20 countries, incorporating the specific needs, cultures, and languages of our teams. This position leads an integrated approach to talent management by focusing on employee performance, professional development, engagement and retention.
The Human Resources department oversees staff development and training as well as employee resources. Our core values of Collegiality, Integrity, Resourcefulness and Results are foundational to the work we do.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Managing a comprehensive training strategy based on the stated needs of senior management, line managers, and staff. Programs will include a mix of on-line and in-person offerings ranging from specific technical skills to high-level behavioral competencies.
- Managing all online training platforms, including content acquisition, content creation–as needed, continual content curation, systems integration and maintenance, and vendor management.
- Creating and rolling out meaningful in-person training programs focused especially around management skills, including options for new and seasoned managers. Training likely to include soft skills (feedback, delegation, etc.) as well as admin skills (timecards, expense reports, performance reviews, etc.)
- Organizing, launching and tracking mandatory training modules like Conflict of Interest or Code of Conduct. (Content produced by others)
- Providing regular communication to staff to regularly highlight training opportunities
- Working closely with HR Business Partners on training initiatives, as well as partnering on activities below.
- Helping groups (Divisions, Country Programs, etc.) identify skill gaps and collaborating to develop a plan forward. (Examples: A French-speaking country program needs help organizing English lessons to key staff / A Division needs help with Conflict Management / A business development group wants to improve its teams technical writing skills)
- Putting in place a system to help individual employees–especially at more junior levels–identify personal skill gaps and put together customized development plans.
- Establishing and maintaining an internal project-related / temporary opportunities tracker accessible by all staff, showing internal projects (big and small) to which employees can apply
- Managing rotation programs, as appropriate
- Managing formal and/or informal mentoring networks, as appropriate
- Managing the entire performance management cycle including approach, communication, systems, and tracking.
- Developing and rolling-out an organization-wide competency framework for some of our most common career tracks (program management, program development, etc.) which can be used to support professional development and coaching activities and programs.
- Managing employee engagement surveys, including content, vendor management, and subsequent action planning across the organization
- Developing and rolling out a global onboarding program that provides all new employees–in all locations–with a baseline understanding of our history, values, funding, and organizational structure, as well as expectations of employees.
- Developing and rolling out employee recognition programs, including service awards.
- Ensuring that key information–including policies, procedures, and key links–are current and easily accessible to all employees on our internal website, myTNS.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Managing all aspects of our Inclusive Excellence Framework, best conceptualized as a matrix of integrated initiatives and activities designed to achieve organizational excellence with evidence of diversity and inclusion.
- Managing a diversity internship program aimed at attracting and developing non-traditional candidates into the development sector
- Ensuring that TechnoServe completes an annual Affirmative Action Plan, including vendor management, high-level analysis of results, and action planning as required or appropriate
- Working closely with the Sr. Recruiting Manager to develop and maintain outreach strategies and programs to ensure our opportunities are well understood by both traditional and non-traditional candidates
- Working closely with the Global Gender Director to ensure we are compliant with and supporting our Gender policy as well as gender-related initiatives
- Establishing and rolling out DEI trainings and/or focus groups
- Bachelor’s degree with 10 years, or Master's degree with 7 years, of relevant HR experience in positions of increasing responsibility
- Experience leading a talent and/or employee engagement function, preferably in a multicultural organization with operations outside of the US.
- Proven experience working closely with HR colleagues and business managers to develop and implement learning, performance, and professional development strategies and programs in line with business needs and staff input.
- Preference for experience developing and implementing management and leadership programs as well as diversity, equity, and inclusion programs
- Professional proficiency in a second language such as French or Spanish
- Preference for experience implementing comprehensive employee engagement surveys and related activities.
- Preference for solid vendor management experience (selection, negotiations, contracts, accountability)
- Ability and willingness to travel 5 – 10% of time, including internationally
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This section should highlight the competencies that would make a candidate successful in the role such as
- Ability and willingness to occasionally work on projects outside of traditional talent workstreams, when needed.
- Professional references that can confirm resourcefulness, active listening, productivity, a calm/collaborative demeanor, and an ability to change course when needed.
- S/he may manage a small team
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe's vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 785 4515.