Jacaranda Health is an international health non-profit organization dedicated to improving pregnancy outcomes for all mothers and babies. We are quickly growing towards $10m in revenue annually. Most of our programming and operations is in Kenya, with and a small US office (501c3) providing financial oversight, with the majority of revenue coming through the US office. The organization continues to grow in size and complexity and is now expanding its programs to other African countries. There is a need to expand the scope of the global financial oversight and we seek a strong, independent finance officer CPA (preferable) to handle the US accounting in this fast-paced environment and become part of a high caliber team. We have two US team members based in Durham, NC, and one in Washington DC supporting our 100 person operation in Kenya. This finance position can be remote, preferably in the US. Please see requirements in detail below – this position requires experience with US non-profit accounting and audit requirements, and USG funding.
POSITION SUMMARY: This remote position, which will have responsibility for key headquarter accounting transactional functions in our US office including general ledger accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and petty cash and supports all organizational and grant financial reporting. The Finance Officer ensures that the organization has the systems, controls and processes in place to support US operations and to ensure timely and accurate reporting and successful audits. The Finance Officer will support the program teams to ensure the US accounting systems produce successful audits. They will work closely with peers in the Kenya-based accounting team on consolidation, monthly closes, grant reporting, and budgeting. The Finance Officer also works closely with program teams not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can improve support of operations. This position could be scoped as a full-time position or roughly 75% time – we can be flexible for the right person.
ESSENTIAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for managing the month-end close process to ensure timely and accurate reporting including all entries and reconciliations.
- Support preparation of internal reports for management and Board of Directors.
- Preparation of year-end financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Handles all HQ finance operational processes including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, and Petty Cash.
- Support the annual independent audit process including financial statement audit and Uniform Guidance audit to ensure successful audits;
- Ensure appropriate internal controls in place related to HQ finance operations. Revise/update HQ finance policies and procedures as needed.
- Promote compliance with relevant donor regulations (including USG regulations) and organization policies/ procedures.
- Prepare financial analysis as needed.
- Manage the accounting system (s) including system updates and improvements.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities in processes and implement automated system improvements.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required (e.g. Accounting, Business), CPA preferred.
- At least five (5) years of experience in senior accounting role, including management of the accounting function of an organization
- Experience working with a US non-profit required and familiarity with US 501c3 tax and audit requirements.
- Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills required.
- Must be proficient in QuickBooks. Other more complex accounting systems experience preferred (i.e. Intacct).
- Experience with donor project accounting required.
- Experience with USG funding, familiarity with USG requirements 2 CFR 200.
- Strong customer service orientation and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Detail-oriented and the ability to work in a meticulous, thorough, and precise manner
- Must be flexible and able to think on their feet as well as take initiative where appropriate.
- Strong analytical skills.