Location: Washington, DC*
Application Deadline: When filled
*Please Note: Solidarity Center staff enjoy a hybrid telework/in-person schedule. All candidates applying for this role will be expected to work in the Washington, D.C. office a minimum of three days per week unless an ADA or health-related exemption is approved.
Solidarity Center seeks a highly detail-oriented accounting professional who is mission-driven and wants to work in a diverse, international nonprofit environment. The General Accountant is responsible for all aspects of accounting relating to headquarters programs and assigned departments, serving as the primary contact between accounting and assigned departments or teams. The General Accountant processes all expense claims, travel expense reports, and review all related payables for the assigned departments to ensure that they are in accordance with USG regulations and are allowable charges within the meaning of 2 CFR 200. The General Accountant is also responsible for reconciling all Solidarity Center headquarters bank accounts, headquarters fixed assets schedule, prepaid accounts and Accounts Receivable.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Working knowledge of accounting theory and government grant regulations including 2 CFR 200
- Minimum of two years’ experience in accounting
- Prior experience with non-profit organizations (desired but not required)
- Intermediate skill in Excel, proficiency in Microsoft Word and working knowledge of Deltek Costpoint accounting software
- Ability to work independently in order to complete assigned tasks
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to produce accurate work.
- Reconcile all headquarters bank accounts on a monthly basis;
- Review and audit travel expense reports for headquarters program staff and assigned units;
- Review and audit program related expenses for the headquarters departments;
- Review monthly/quarterly financial reports with Program Officers for headquarters programs and assigned departments, and identify areas of potential overspending. Notify appropriate managers regarding problems with timely resolution of potential or actual cost overruns;
- Analyze and review balance sheet accounts such as deposits, prepaid expenses, accounts payable, accounts receivable reconciliation and other accounts as assigned (not related to the field offices);
- Prepare journal entries for headquarters fixed assets, prepaid expenses, accrued expenses and other recurring entries;
- Prepare account receivable invoices; and
- Assist as required in research and account analysis related to outside audits.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
This is a collective bargaining unit position, generously compensated with a gross annual salary starting at approximately $64,301 USD based on experience. A robust benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, a retirement plan and pension, life insurance, and ample paid time off for holidays, vacation, and medical leave. Pre-tax deduction programs are also available for commuting, dependent care, and health care expenses. In addition, we offer opportunities and funds for professional development.
The Solidarity Center cultivates the values of diversity, equality, and inclusion among its staff and partners. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under applicable law. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodations to apply for this position, please contact us at email@example.com.
For Candidates Applying from the AFL-CIO: Solidarity Center works in partnership with the AFL-CIO on recruiting and filling positions. Our policy is to notify the AFL-CIO prior to interviewing any of its current employees.