Corus International is the parent of a family of world-class organizations working to deliver the holistic, lasting solutions needed to end extreme poverty once and for all. We are a global leader in international development, with 150 years of combined experience across our brands. Our nonprofit and for-profit subsidiaries include IMA World Health and its fundraising brand Corus World Health, Lutheran World Relief, CGA Technologies, Ground Up Investing, and Farmers Market Brands. Our more than 800 employees around the globe are experts in their fields and dedicated to helping the world's most vulnerable people break the cycle of poverty and lead healthy lives.
Corus International is seeking a Global Controller to join its Finance and Administration Department. This position is hybrid remote working two days in the office each week. Tuesday is a core business day. The position may be based in our Washington, DC or Baltimore, MD office.
- Direct, support, and where necessary, perform the duties of general and international accounting, multi-entity consolidation, internal and external financial reporting, budgeting and analysis, and cash management.
- Ensure the integrity of financial systems and data or all internal and external financial reporting. Current financial systems include MIP for general accounting and Adaptive as the database for management performance reporting.
- Manage the annual external audit and ensure compliance with US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), applicable regulatory and governance requirements including internal policies and procedures, donor requirements, and municipal bond covenants.
- Collaborate with and support the development, implementation, and oversight of required financial systems, policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Assess and oversee the overall management reporting system in order to comprehensively record, close and report on each accounting period in a timely manner.
- Continuously assess and evaluate the organizations internal controls around key business processes and significant classes of transactions at the country level as well as the transactions between countries and HQ.
- Provide timely and strategic decision support for the Leadership Team, Board of Directors, and other stakeholders.
- Serve with the CFO as key staff for the Finance Committee of the Board and stand in for the CFO when needed.
The Global Controller leads the International Accounting Team and works closely with the Financial Planning & Systems and International Programs teams. With two direct reports to the Global Controller, the International Accounting Team is a team of six staff responsible for (1) general accounting and cash management, (2) consolidation and financial reporting, and (3) financial planning and analysis.
- Director, General Accounting
- Director, Consolidation & Reporting
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance needed.
- At least 10 years' relevant and progressively responsible experience to include accounting/finance leadership in a large multi-million-dollar global federal government contracting and/or international NGO nonprofit environment a must.
- Must have experience working as a Controller in a global context and leading a team with direct supervisory responsibility.
- An active CPA is strongly desired.
- Knowledge of U.S. Government regulations as well as international finance and accounting regulations.
- Strong understanding and experience working with analytical tools to organize, analyze and report on accounting data in a summarized and comprehensive manner.
- Experience with MIP or similar systems for general accounting and database reporting applications like Adaptive.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and presentation skills.
- Exceptional analytical and innovative problem-solving skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams, including recruiting, training, and development of staff.
- Effective communicator, able to convey complex financial matters to non-financially trained professionals.
- Strong written, verbal, and presentations skills along with fluency in English are required, additional professional proficiency in French and/or Spanish would be desirable.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The physical requirements that may be needed to execute responsibilities may include bending, standing, and walking, etc.
- The mental requirements that are essential to satisfactorily executing the responsibilities outlined in this job description include, but not limited to: learning new tasks, comprehending, and retaining information, completing tasks independently, effectively communicating verbally and in writing, demonstrating proficiency in using computer software to perform assigned tasks.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- Corus has a hybrid work policy, allowing work to be done remotely; 2-3 days/week minimum in the office is required. The employee must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- This position must be able to travel as required for standard domestic business purposes with the ability to operate from the organization's Baltimore, MD or Washington, D.C. office at least 2 days per week with travel periodically to the alternate office.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Zero Tolerance to Abuse
As a member of the Corus Family, each employee is expected to:
- Help to develop and maintain an environment that welcomes and develops a diverse workforce.
- Foster a work environment where everyone feels valued and included.
- Support employees' evaluation and promotion processes based on skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all members of Corus family, stakeholders in general, and particularly for the communities we serve.
- Follow Corus Code of Conduct helping to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment, sexual abuse and exploitation, and trafficking in persons.
- Adhere to the Organizational Core Values
Corus International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, marital status, protected veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.