EngenderHealth envisions a gender-equal world where all people achieve their sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). We believe this is essential for ensuring all people can achieve their full potential. To achieve this vision, we implement high-quality, gender-equitable programs that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights.
The Director of HR is responsible for directing and managing the organization’s global human resources functions in accordance with the policies and procedures of EngenderHealth. They are responsible for planning, initiating, leading, implementing and evaluating human capital initiatives, organizational development, talent and people management, compensation and benefits, and HR programs and policies. They work to brand and position EngenderHealth as an employer of choice to ultimately attract, retain, and develop the best talent available. The Director partners with the global HR team to design and implement our strategy of employee engagement, diversity, inclusion, and culture. They work closely with the Executive Team to ensure that the needs of EngenderHealth’s people and culture are central to our strategy and core business decisions.
Employee and labor relations
- Develop, lead, and maintain policies, programs, practices, and systems that foster employee engagement and purposefully connect and engage staff across the organization aligned with organizational core values.
- Embrace and continue to evolve the organization’s culture ensuring that employees are heard, engaged, safe, and motivated.
- Oversee US labor strategy and union relationship for the organization, ensuring that union relationships are productive and maintain a labor environment that supports EngenderHealth’s strategies and goals.
- Implement and administer competitive benefits and wellness strategy for US based staff, ensuring effective communication and processes are in place.
- Oversee the management of US employee benefit programs including: health insurance, life insurance, dental & vision insurance, retirement, and ancillary lines of coverage.
- Ensure compliance with US benefits, employment and insurance laws, regulations, and requirements.
- Oversee US payroll and state tax and registration process.
Recruitment and retention
- Advise on best practices and strategies to attract, motivate, develop, and retain staff.
- With the Executive Team, support organizational succession planning and leadership development processes.
- Identify and promote professional development opportunities for staff.
- Oversea the US HR staff.
- Collaborate and support the global HR team.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate global HR priorities and workplans, ensuring international, national, and organizational standards are met.
- Advance EngenderHealth as an employer of choice across our country portfolio.
- In collaboration with global HR colleagues, ensure HR regulatory and employment law compliance at country level.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Lead initiatives to ensure equity of pay, benefits, and HR policies across EngenderHealth, globally.
- Advance EngenderHealth’s commitment to meaningful youth participation through policies and practices that support young staff and partners.
- Work with global HR team and global leaders to increase diversity in our staff, consultants, partners, and vendors.
- Provide mentorship and coaching to team leaders and supervisors in modeling organizational culture and values and leadership development.
Must possess the following requirements with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., human resources, law, business administration, labor relations, organizational development, organizational psychology).
- International non-profit and non-governmental organization (NGO) industry experience.
- Managed performance of remotely located staff.
- Minimum of ten (10) years in a senior human resources leadership position with responsibilities related to implementing global HR strategy initiatives (e.g., reviewing, recommending, and implementing organizational design and structural changes to reflect strategic choices and/or forecasting human resource requirements in line with strategies and budgets).
- At least eight (8) years’ managing and supporting large and diverse employee populations.
- At least four (4) years' experience managing and supporting US payroll.
- Experience recruiting technical and operations staff, including knowledge of HR information management and applicant tracking systems (e.g., Oracle, Taleo, Employee Navigator).
- Experience working and managing in a US union environment.
- At least four (4) years' experience managing US benefits plans.
- Ability to support supervisory and performance management processes and support managers in those skills.
- Experience speaking and presenting publicly in front of small and/or large groups.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, which includes the use of accurate grammar.
- Able to travel as required.
- Experience serving as an advisor to the senior leadership team.
ESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS
- Committed to EngenderHealth’s core organizational values of reflection, inclusion, integrity, respect, and transformation.
- Leadership skills to work with autonomy with a self-start mentality to manage client relationships and balance employee needs and concerns within the organization’s policies and goals.
- Ability to use knowledge of the organizational and political climate to solve problems and accomplish goals.
- Talented in the art of developing and managing high performing teams.
- Problem-solver mentality, with the ability to adapt seamlessly to changing priorities, enforce regulations, and deadlines.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively in different socio-cultural contexts.
- Organized, high level of accuracy, and meticulous attention to detail.
- Documented success building coalitions and holding confidence.
- Able to learn the business and fully understand how and why tasks satisfy business needs.
- Able to synthesize information from multiple sources.
- Demonstrate diplomacy, good judgement, and confidentiality.
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
- SHRM-SCP or SPHR certified.
- Fluency in French.
- Non-profit management experience with global health, reproductive health (family planning, maternal and child health), women’s rights, and international development.
- Experience recruiting international key personnel for large donor bids.
- Position located in Washington, DC. (Currently hybrid).
- Cover letter required. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Salaries and benefits will be adjusted for the relevant job market depending on location.
As of February 1, 2022, EngenderHealth requires all US-based staff to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. This includes receiving the booster, subject to accommodation. If hired, you will be asked to show proof of vaccination, subject to accommodation.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person(s) assigned to this job. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Employees can be asked to do other comparable duties as assigned.
EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state, and local laws.
EngenderHealth complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in the United States in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
EngenderHealth is committed to safeguarding all people, particularly children, vulnerable adults, and beneficiaries of assistance from any harm that may be caused due to contact with EngenderHealth. This includes harm arising from the conduct of staff, associates, and partners, and the design and implementation of programs and activities.