Democracy International (DI) is seeking to hire a full-time Human Resources Specialist. As a member of the Operations team, this role will be based in DI's home office in Bethesda, Maryland, and will be primarily responsible for providing HR support to DI’s field office teams. We will only consider applicants who are based in the Washington, DC area or planning to move there. This position is a hybrid position and is expected to be in the office regularly.
Essential Job Duties:
The duties of the Human Resources Specialist will include:
- Work with the field teams on HR matters to help establish processes and build capacity as needed; ensure that appropriate HR processes are communicated to relevant teams.
- Provide support on HR-related matters including onboarding, offboarding, benefits, ex-pat allowances, employee relations, and organizational policies, as needed.
- Serve as the home office HR point of contact for field teams on HR needs; coordinate with the home office HR team to respond to requirements as needed.
- Support the field teams to ensure that HR policies and procedures for field offices are fully compliant with DI standards, local laws, and regulations while meeting the needs of staff.
- Support start-ups through engagement with local lawyers to identify country labor laws, benefits, and local compensation plans. Plan and coordinate new employee orientations with HQ resources to foster positive attitude toward project objectives, including planning and managing the onboarding process and training for all new hires.
- Work with the HR Manager and legal counsel to prepare employee agreements and field staff handbooks.
- Work with the HR Manager and field teams to ensure that employee agreement renewals, amendments, and salary adjustments are on-time and align with local laws and contract requirements.
- Support the engagement and work of an Employee of Record (EOR) in those countries where DI requires their services.
- Maintain all country HR-related documentation on the field office SharePoint
- Serve as backup to other team members as assigned.
- Carry out other assigned duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, or other related fields. Masters preferred.
- At least 2 years of international human resources experience
- Experience with USAID best practices
- Demonstrated strong commitment to integrity and confidentiality
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in HR functions such as employee relations, hiring, onboarding and separation, benefits administration, labor laws, hiring, performance management
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Fluency in English required, fluency in other languages a plus.
- Ability to travel 15-25% of their time.
- This position reports to the Human Resources Manager .
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Moderate noise (i.e. business office with computers, phone, printers, and moderate traffic).
- Ability to work in a confined office space/area.
- Ability to sit and/or stand at a computer desk for an extended period of time.
- Ability to travel on long plane flights across several time zones and at irregular hours.
Physical Requirements Required to Perform Essential Responsibilities:
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to;
- Stand, sit; talk, hear, use of hands and fingers, and perform repetitive motions to operate a computer and telephone keyboard.
- Reach, stoop, or kneel, to adjust computer and/or telephone equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work.
- Hearing abilities required due to telephone.
- Light to moderate lifting is possible.
- Travel will require moderate lifting, sitting for extended periods of time, overnight flights across multiple time zones;
- Regular, predictable attendance is required; as business demands dictate.
Democracy International is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation in its employment process for individuals with disabilities to meet any and all physical requirements of our jobs.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and CV. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is identified. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The starting salary range for this position is $61,000 to $73,000, commensurate with experience. DI will only contact candidates of interest.
All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
About the Organization:
DI provides technical assistance, analytical services and project implementation for democracy, human rights, governance and conflict mitigation programs worldwide for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. State Department and other development partners. Since its founding in 2003, Democracy International has worked with civil society organizations, political parties, election-management bodies, government agencies, legislatures, justice-sector institutions, and others in 80+ countries.
DI welcomes and supports a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are committed to equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and for DI employees. DI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at DI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities.