The GroundTruth Project is an award-winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists in the U.S. and around the world. Our mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting emerging journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world. Our team is headquartered at WGBH in Boston, the flagship PBS station.
We are seeking an IT Director to work with the COO to define, manage and set strategy for how technology can help the organization dramatically expand in scale and achieve our ambitious mission to get journalists on the ground covering the key stories of our time. The IT Director will be responsible for planning and administering IT projects and programs for all GroundTruth teams, including Report for America, our fast-growing, flagship program.
IT Leadership and project management
- Grows an in-house team of technology professionals and key consultants to scale with the organization during a major period of growth.
- Serves as our organization’s technology Thought Leader, responsible for proposing, planning, overseeing and tracking technology projects to enable our projects to scale rapidly and serve our stakeholders well.
- Collaborates with appropriate stakeholders to define business needs, system requirements, and timelines for future system enhancements and implementation to support organizational growth, including planned scaling of programs and content strategy.
- Manages and oversees integration of software, tools, and applications across different GroundTruth teams.
- Coordinates and oversees support and administration of current and future platforms, applications, and systems, including Salesforce, Submittable, G Suite, Box, Adobe’s Creative Suite, Microsoft Office.
- Oversees the management of content and measurement of audience metrics across the shared websites of www.thegroundtruthproject.org and www.reportforamerica.org.
- Assures strong technological integration between Report for America and other GroundTruth projects.
- Oversees a robust training and support program for a technology-reliant staff.
General IT administration and support
- Technology training, on-boarding setup and support, and routine technical administrative support.
- Manages vendor relationships, procures hardware and licensing, tracks and processes technology invoices.
- Oversees inventory.
- Reviews departmental technology needs, system licensing fees and equipment requests, makes recommendations for inclusion in the IT operating budget.
- Prepares project documents, status reports, and presentations.
- Strong experience working in a cloud-first, SaaS environment.
- Experience managing G Suite is required.
- Experience working in a mixed Mac and PC environment.
- Experience working with Box, Zoom, Salesforce, Zapier, Okta, Submittable, 8×8, WordPress, Asana and/or Slack, social media programs, database applications, or similar programs and applications.
- Well-organized, comfortable managing multiple projects simultaneously, ability to multitask with ease, adapting to evolving needs of a growing organization.
- Strong understanding of and familiarity with domestic and international data security and confidentiality laws.
A successful candidate will have:
- Experience managing an IT function in a non-profit environment.
- A Bachelor’s degree and at least 8-12 years of relevant experience.
- The ability to speak both “people” and “technology”.
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills, verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- A team player first and foremost mentality.
- Deep experience delivering elite customer service.
- The ability and desire to take on both a strategic and “hands on” role.
- Project management certification and familiarity with Agile processes and methodology which is preferred.
About The GroundTruth Project
Since its incorporation as an independent 501(c)3 organization in 2014, GroundTruth has built award-winning editorial teams to produce in-depth journalism that explores challenging global issues through local, on-the-ground reporting. In 2018, GroundTruth launched Report for America, a new national service program that places talented emerging journalist into local newsrooms in under-covered communities across the United States.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.