Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D is seeking a Payroll Manager to process payroll for its global staff as well as to serve as a point person for ensuring compliance with all federal, state and international payroll regulations.
This position is based in Washington, DC and will report to the Controller.
- Manage the domestic and international payroll processes per policies and procedures established by Results for Development (R4D) to include garnishments, special pays, retroactive payments, and benefit deductions.
- Oversee compliance with federal, state, local payroll requirements and filing.
- Liaise with PEO’s and EOR’s as needed to support international employment requirements and ensure timely payments to these agencies.
- Handle administration of the ADP payroll system and set up each employee in adherence with the FLSA
- Calculate and process retroactive and current salary increases, bonuses, and other pay adjustments
- Review and ensure all new hires, rehires and employee changes are set-up in ADP and processed accurately using appropriate approved documentation (such as, Personnel Action Form, benefit forms, IRS and State Tax forms…)
- Prepare, verify and process accurate and timely bi-weekly, semi-monthly, and off-cycle payrolls
- Ensure payroll runs balance and that reports are accurately and promptly produced
- Reconcile quarterly federal and state tax returns against general ledger in a timely manner
- Ensure W-2 is processed and that year-to-date adjustments effecting reporting requirements are reported accurately and promptly
- Establish and maintain employee payroll records in accordance with R4D policy and regulatory requirements
- Maintain strong working knowledge of current federal and state tax regulations to resolve complex tax related issues and make recommendations
- Advise employees on technical aspects of payroll and interpret payroll-related laws as needed
- Ensure timely reporting and payment of employee and employer withholding taxes, premiums, and miscellaneous withholdings to appropriate agencies by outsourced ADP payroll processor
- Document and manage payroll policies, processes and procedures; evaluate payroll system and recommend improvements
- Provide standard and ad hoc reports in user friendly formats to authorized employees as needed
- Train employees in timesheet and payroll policies, processes and procedures as needed
- Prepare necessary reports and other schedules as needed to complete the annual 401(k)audit
- Prepare and submit annual survey report as requested by the Census Bureau
- Assist with annual financial audit as related to payroll and employee-related matters
- Perform quarterly reconciliation of the 941 forms as well as year-end W-2 forms and ensure all quarterly and year-end filings are prepared and submitted.
- In collaboration with HR and Programs develop and document short and long-term payroll strategies.
- Responsible for Payroll general ledger and timesheet account reconciliations and variance explanations related to salary and wages
- Manage all employee payroll data in APD WorkforceNow
- Reconcile benefits deductions for each payroll cycle ensuring benefit vendor updates in all systems are made (transportation, FSA deductions…)
- Performed all other duties as assigned by R4D management
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Experience with ADP Workforce required.
- 5+ years of work experience in domestic and international global payrolls.
- Demonstrated ability to function in high-performing and diverse teams. Proven ability to drive change to improve payroll functions including compliance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in English. Ability to speak, read, and write in the language of the host country at a native level preferred.
- CPP or FPC designation is preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- 2+ years of international non-profit (NGO) payroll experience preferred;
Desired interpersonal Skills
- Strong aptitude in using interpersonal skills to build strong working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully within a team
- Good problem-solving and solutioning skills.
- Ability to interact and communicate with R4D leadership, employees and government agencies at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. Strong knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and automated accounting systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access R4D Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening.