The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a 501(c)3 grantmaking foundation that receives an annual Congressional appropriation in excess of $310 million and is governed by a private, bipartisan Board of Directors. This unusual arrangement positions NED to play a unique role as America’s leading foundation for freedom, empowering the institution to be nimble, innovative, and risk-taking in support of democratic activists, civil society organizations, independent media, and the NED family core institutes (the International Republican Institute, the National Democratic Institute, the Center for International Private Enterprise, and the Solidarity Center).
We seek a motivated, energetic, organized, and resourceful Program Assistant/Assistant Program Officer for Outreach and Communications who is a mission-oriented team player, and who would be excited to join a fast-paced International Forum for Democratic Studies team. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The International Forum for Democratic Studies at the National Endowment for Democracy drives thought leadership and learning on defining global challenges to democracy that can serve to accelerate democratic renewal. Drawing on NED’s extensive global network of democracy defenders, the Forum’s research and activities focus on global challenges to democracy that include: countering authoritarian influence, ensuring information integrity, combating transnational kleptocracy, and leveraging emerging technologies for democracy. By engaging in interdisciplinary convening, publishing, and outreach in Washington, DC and overseas, the Forum seeks to bridge ideas and action in the democracy and policy communities around these defining challenges.
To accomplish these goals, the International Forum for Democratic Studies seeks a PA/APO for Outreach and Communications (Level 3 or 4) to expand the reach and engagement for the Forum’s research and activities at this critical time, and assist with other research and administrative tasks. The ideal candidate will thrive working as part of a team and will possess experience including the promotion of cutting-edge research, growing social media presences across multiple platforms, executing briefings and meetings, and operating web-based and other tools for communicating research and published materials.
- Expand and grow the influence and reach of Forum research in the United States and internationally across multiple platforms and to new audiences outside of the democracy community (Twitter, Facebook, others), coordinating closely with other parts of the NED.
- Work closely with key stakeholders within the Forum, NED, and with key non-NED partners to coordinate outreach for our research and activities.
- Oversee and enhance the quality and reach of the Forum’s website and Power 3.0 blog and podcast.
- Coordinate the production of the Forum’s regular newsletter (Forum Focus) and other outreach tools, including managing the Forum’s contact management software.
- Support and coordinate the production of and ensure a high quality for the Forum’s public events, in coordination with others on the team and at NED.
- Track and develop quantitative and qualitative metrics to identify indicators of the success of Forum outreach efforts.
- Assist Forum staff with other research and administrative duties as assigned by supervisor.
- The level of responsibility and independence in assigned tasks will increase with experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international affairs, communications, or a related field required.
- 0-2 years of relevant work experience for a Program Assistant (PA); & 2-4 years of relevant work experience for an Assistant Program Officer (APO).
- Communications, marketing, and/or outreach work experience required; international experience, communications education, and technical training preferred.
- Experience assisting with high-level private briefings, public events, or related activities with significant logistical requirements and outreach expectations.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Ability to utilize contact management, social media, content and graphic creation, podcast and audio editing, and web development software strongly preferred.
- Experience in international democracy, development, or public policy non-government organization preferred.
- Experience living, working, or studying abroad, or knowledge of one or more foreign languages a plus.
- Sound understanding of the NED’s mission.
- Excellent editing and writing skills;
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate in a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work efficiently in a dynamic environment, take initiative, and juggle competing priorities.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics covered by applicable law. The NED is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation for all qualified individuals and bases all employment decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need. The NED believes that diversity and inclusion amongst our team members are critical to our success as an organization operating globally and seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
For more information, please visit our website at http://www.ned.org/careers or email@example.com.