We are seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Program Director to play a key leadership role in the Nutrition team, including leading the development of new programs (creative program development and funder engagement), as well as portfolio, technical and team leadership. You will be responsible for managing a diverse portfolio and pipeline, as well as broad range of stakeholder relationships and cultivate new partnerships at both the country and global levels.
You will also play a key role in helping to shape the strategic development and direction of the Nutrition team in accordance with R4D’s strategy refresh, including through novel models for delivering technical assistance emphasizing partnerships with local or regional institutions to facilitate and support country led change processes, promote regional learnings and technical support networks, and ensure that country and regional actors and evidence are prioritized or play a bigger role in global processes.
You will be a highly motivated leader, with a strong network in the nutrition community or in public health; a creative problem solver; have strong operational management, communication, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results. While currently virtual, this position is expected to be based in Washington, DC and will report to the Managing Director, Nutrition and Integrated Strategies.
With a broad focus on strengthening systems to improve nutrition outcomes, R4D Nutrition team currently works mostly on sustainable financing for nutrition, data and learning for decision-making; integration of nutrition into health systems, in collaboration with R4D’s health team; and support to Food systems and market shaping policies and interventions, in collaboration with R4D Market Shaping team. We are also one of the consortium members of Usaid Advancing Nutrition.
As Program Director of this high-impact team, you will:
- Collaboratively lead the implementation of the team’s overall strategy, monitoring progress and taking regular stock of challenges and opportunities;
- Understand country and partner needs, as well as major evolutions in the nutrition landscape, and articulate new strategic areas of impact for R4D and our value proposition in these areas aligned with R4D’s strategy, collaborating as needed with other teams across R4D (e.g. health, education, market shaping; adaptive learning; collaborative learning; innovation);
- Oversee a portfolio of global and country projects, providing guidance to team members, ensuring that outputs and deliverables are high quality; while ensuring effective balancing of budgets, timelines, and interests of partners, donors and the team
- Craft new programs that respond to partner needs; mobilize funding for and oversee the implementation of these programs to achieve sustained impact while ensuring the financial sustainability of the team;
- Mentor and effectively manage members of a tight-knit and growing team, and engage and manage consultants as needed;
- Be an internal leader representing the Nutrition team within R4D, collaborating actively with other practice areas of the organization;
- Be a leader in the nutrition space; able to maintain and develop relationships with a diverse set of external stakeholders, such as senior government officials, donors, technical partners and advocates and actively cultivate new partnerships at both the country and global levels to further our team’s impact;
You’re a great fit if you are:
- Genuinely passionate about supporting system level responses to country nutrition challenges, that focus on how to better prioritize, plan, allocate resources, monitor progress and learn from efforts,
- Enthusiastic about R4D’s vision and mission and excited to work in collaboration with colleagues on the management team to further develop R4D’s approaches to supporting change agents and achieving impact.
- A highly emotionally intelligent leader with a reputation for managing teams – ideally international teams — in a collaborative and constructive manner.
- Analytical and a structured and creative problem-solver
- A strong communicator, able to distill complex concepts into clear messaging
- Collaborative, approachable, and invested in enabling a positive working environment
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally, per project need
Your experience should include:
- At least 10 years of experience post masters (7 years post PhD) supporting decision making and policy processes in nutrition and/or public health or other sectors relevant to nutrition to better prioritize, plan, allocate resources, monitor and learn from efforts;
- Significant technical experience in Public financial management for health, nutrition or agriculture, or in health systems with a focus on primary health care, is strongly preferred
- Significant experience leading the development and execution of high-quality programs including providing technical assistance in a variety of contexts, preferably working with Governments in low- and middle-income countries
- A track record of mobilizing new funding from government, multilateral and/or philanthropic donors in project-funded organizations.
- A track record of leading and managing diverse teams, ensuring high quality delivery of complex portfolio while mentoring staff and supporting their professional growth.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to deliver compelling presentations with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in cultivating and managing relationships across a broad range of partners
- Ability to work in French or Amharic a plus.