The Operations Director (OD) will provide oversight of operational procedures and policies,
financial controls, sub-recipient management, contractual obligations and other management functions including supervising select program team members. The OD will help ensure accountability and synergy across program units for maximum effectiveness and efficiency, providing operational and strategic guidance to the Managing Director on this ambitious, complex, and multifaceted global initiative.
In collaboration with the Managing Director, Technical Director and other team members, the OD will help coordinate provision of technical work, help engage USAID missions globally to harmonize goals, coordinate program liaison and collaboration with partners, donors, USAID country missions, clients and stakeholders. The OD will help maintain a USAID Program partnership that engenders trust, respect and builds confidence in R4D's program execution.
- Master's degree in business administration, public health, public policy, international development, or related field.
- 10+ years' experience working on global health program management in a technical or operational role.
- 5+ years senior level international development programming including demonstrated ability to work with both senior in-country policy makers, governments, USAID Missions and partner organizations.
- Substantial USAID financial management, contract compliance, reporting, administration, budget management, and project coordination experience.
- 5+ years of supervisory experience. Proven track record of building teams and fostering collaboration in order to achieve goals, meet milestones, and produce high quality donor deliverables.
- Familiarity with USAID regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects.
- Demonstrated management, leadership, decision‐making, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in networking, diplomacy and coordination.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy and negotiation skills.
- Full professional proficiency in English, with excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Provide operational leadership for the program and ensure the efficient implementation of program activities and the timely reporting of those activities to donors.
- Coordinate program liaison and collaboration with partners, donors, various USAID country missions, clients and stakeholders. Help the Managing Director to harmonize USAID Mission needs with program capabilities and outcomes.
- Work in close collaboration with program leadership team to ensure coordinated and effective operational support for the program within the various countries.
- Refine and implement management systems with standard operating procedures to administer all program activities.
- Help build a high-performing and cohesive team that emphasizes creative approaches, the achievement of personal and program goals and a collegial approach that is focused on overall program achievement.
- Advise the Managing Director on alignment of human resources within program work plans and emerging donor buy-ins including external sourcing of human resources and consultants.
- The OD will set direction and coordinate annual workplan development, implementation, and review. S/he will ensure alignment with USAID strategies in each country, identifying opportunities for integrated planning and implementation.
- Contribute to knowledge management across program partners, governments and all stakeholders to ensure continuous improvement, learning and innovation.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, have outstanding communications and interpersonal skills, and a collaborative orientation.