Job Function: International
Resident Senior Manager for Operations and Compliance: Ukraine
The National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks a Resident Senior Operations and Compliance Manager who, in coordination with program staff, will manage all reporting, administration, procurement, financial management, HR, and operations functions of the Institute's Kyiv office. This position is based in Kyiv, Ukraine and reports to the Resident Director.
This is a senior level position overseeing financial and administrative aspects of NDI's multi-year democracy assistance programming in Ukraine, which is supported by numerous USG and other international donor agencies at a level of approximately $11 million/year. The Resident Senior Operations and Compliance Manager will have significant supervisory responsibilities of administrative staff in Kyiv and substantial engagement with NDI-DC senior administrative managers to ensure compliance with donor (US Government and non-US Government) financial management and reporting requirements as well as ND's global policies and procedures.
Financial Reporting and Compliance
- Ensure that donor-specific reporting requirements are met, with coordination between field and HQ-based program staff.
- Manage all aspects of accounting for the Kyiv field office, including supervision of accounting personnel;
- Streamline financial and administrative operations and put in place any tools, forms, and processes to strengthen internal controls;
- Review monthly field expense reports and ensure compliance with NDI rules and procedures;
- Ensure field expense reports and wire transfer requests are submitted to HQ within the stipulated deadlines;
- Assist with budget analysis and pipeline development;
- Support data collection that contributes to timely budgeting and monitoring and evaluation;
- Contribute to fiscal year, audit, and project close out reporting requirements in coordination between field and HQ-based program staff;
- Oversee and coordinate procurement actions, including commodities, long- and short-term service providers, consultants, and sub-grants, to ensure they meet donor and organization regulations;
- Monitor cash flow and ensure sufficient funds are always available;
- Work with program and procurement teams to ensure procurement processes align with organization and donor policies, are understood by staff, and processed effectively;
- Streamline and increase the efficiency of procurement procedures in accordance with donor and organizational regulations.
- Support local staff hiring, development and annual review process;
- Ensure that internal records and regulations/policies are up to date and comply with local legislation, organization and donor policies;
- Ensure that onboarding procedures as well as exit interviews are streamlined and well executed.
- Support the day-to-day internal operations of the Ukraine office;
- Oversee, manage and train/mentor administrative, financial, reporting, grant management and procurement teams;
- Supervise the financial/procurement/administrative management of sub awards, to ensure that reports are submitted on a timely basis, and comply with regulations and requirements.
- Take the lead with organizing operations and logistics for visiting international delegations
- Serve as a point of contact for registration and security issues for NDI-Ukraine (Resident Country Director is the primary contact);
- Update and maintain NDI-Ukraine's security plan as needed;
- Support liaising and responding to HQ and donor requests;
- Oversee administrative functions, including registration status, office management/maintenance;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated financial management/accounting skills/experience;
- Experience managing/working in an administration and procurement function;
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a relevant subject;
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant experience;
- Excellent management skills, experience in grant and personnel management;
- Previous experience working abroad with a development project, NGO or International Organization; famiIiarity with democracy and governance programming highly preferred;
- Proficiency in Ukranian or Russian preferred
- Ability and skills to promote and inspire effective collaboration between individuals, organizations and networks;
- Ability to complete tasks with limited supervision;
- Excellent attention to detail and deadlines;
- Experience in optimizing and overseeing financial and procurement systems;
- Strong background in financial administration, office management and procurement;
- Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- Excellent reporting and document handling skills;
- Excellent communication skills in order to be able to work with program and administrative staff to identify and resolve issues;
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality;
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative and cooperative work environment;
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
- Ability to handle sensitive issues and address inclusion matters with integrity;
- Superior interpersonal and writing skills;
- Creative problem-solver with proven ability to adapt and deliver under pressure.
- Strong diplomacy skills;
- Experience working on UK/USAID/Canada-funded programs a plus;
- Proficiency in Word, Power point, Outlook and Excel.
Position is available immediately.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all, NDI bases its employment decisions on merit, qualifications and abilities. NDI is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please apply on-line through NDI's website at: www.ndi.org/careers