The Senior Director, Communications will lead the development and execution of short- and long-term external communications strategies that advance Freshwater & Food team conservation objectives, support resource mobilization and link to the broader communications and outreach strategy of the organization. The incumbent serves as the point of contact on internal and external communications inquiries related to the Freshwater & Food Goal Team and is recognized at WWF-US and in the WWF Network as the communications expert for the Goal Teams. The incumbent will supervise and manage a communications team that oversees specific communication needs for Freshwater and Food, as well as serves to integrate themes, messages, and approaches for outreach and engagement internally and externally.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, media, marketing or related subject required. Post-graduate degree in strategic communications, international relations, environmental issues, agriculture, food, freshwater or business preferred.
- At least ten years of professional communications experience. Experience with diverse audiences and geographies preferred.
- Demonstrated success in conceptualizing, developing, implementing and managing communications strategies that support an entity’s goals, across a wide range of diverse stakeholders and audiences.
- Experience with mission-oriented, strategic communications or brand marketing is essential.
- Experience translating scientific or technical information to a lay audience.
- Experience in communicating with nuance and diplomacy complicated and controversial issues.
- Experience working in an international environment and who understands cultural differences is a plus.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative and innovative thinker who has experience utilizing diverse channels, outlets, and opportunities to craft and deliver messages to different audiences.
- Anticipates communications conflicts, reputation and brand risks; works to mitigate them.
- Strong commitment to mission, goals and values.
- Attention to detail, discrete and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to work as part of a team in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to position Freshwater & Food issues in such a way as to influence and leverage change well beyond WWF.
- Leads the development of all short and long-term external communications strategies related to the Freshwater & Food Goal Team(s) and oversees all Freshwater and Food. content within WWF-US. Proactively directs the activities and results of the Goal team(s) to external audiences.
- Supervises and manages the Freshwater and Food communications team, who carry out day-to-day needs for respective goal teams, and integrates themes and messages across initiatives and Goal Teams.
- Develops content and stories for projects related to the Freshwater and Food Goal Team(s) and signs off on or oversees all content and stories related to the Goal Team that are created by others at WWF.
- Advises the Goal team on communications related to on-going work as well as projects being stage-gated and leads and/or coordinates Food communications for priority international advocacy, policy, meetings or events.
- Ensures consistent messaging on Freshwater and Food issues for all key audiences. (external and internal) and monitors Freshwater and Food-related communications trends.
- Helps manage conflict and crisis communications around Food issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.