The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a 501(c)3, bipartisan organization that serves as America’s leading foundation for freedom, providing support for democratic activists, civil society organizations, and independent media throughout the world. We’re seeking a Senior Manager, Media Relations to oversee the development and implementation of an audience-driven digital strategy to help strengthen the impact of our work and deliver against our mission.
This is not an entry-level position. Reporting to the Vice President for Communications and Public Engagement, the successful candidate will have significant experience building and managing relationships with tier one media outlets. Serving as a key member of the Communications and Public Engagement department, they will take the lead in designing and implementing a proactive media strategy to advance NED’s mission in consultation with staff throughout the organization. To be considered, candidates must have demonstrable experience managing media strategy and outreach in a high-stakes, fast-paced environment in close proximity with senior leaders and dignitaries. The role demands creativity, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to juggle competing priorities with tight deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude and sense of humor. Experience in crisis communications is a plus.
- Responds to media inquiries and serves as an external media spokesperson for NED;
- Develops and executes a media relations outreach plan and crisis communications plan in close consultation with the Vice President of Communications and Public Engagement and stakeholders throughout NED;
- Builds trusted relationships with U.S. and international journalists, editors, producers, and other influencers working across all mediums and platforms;
- Maintains ongoing situational awareness of events relevant to NED’s work in key regions of the world and quickly identifies media opportunities for NED experts in response to breaking news;
- Drafts press materials, including talking points, media advisories and releases, op-eds, and memos in support of communications plans and goals;
- Maintains contact lists of relevant outlets and journalists;
- Coordinates and supports media opportunities for NED Leadership, staff experts, fellows, and partners;
- Manages media monitoring software and produce reports on media coverage to share across the organization;
- Provides ongoing media and communications support and training to NED staff and grantees.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- 8+ years of professional communications and media relations experience
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with media in areas related to NED’s mission and work such as foreign affairs, national security, global development or similar topics
- Demonstrated success pitching and securing media coverage
- Track record using social media as an earned media tool
- Experience reporting on media coverage using data to share impact
- Solid political judgment and ability to anticipate and manage rapidly evolving scenarios
- Able to translate complex topics into communications materials that can be easily understood by non-technical audiences
- Ability to establish and cultivate positive working relationships with internal and external colleagues
- Authorized to work in the United States.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics covered by applicable law. The NED is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation for all qualified individuals and bases all employment decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need. The NED believes that diversity and inclusion among our team members are critical to our success as an organization operating globally and seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or email@example.com.