We are seeking either a phenomenal mid-level business development professional experienced in international development or a more experienced Business Development Manager (depending upon candidates qualification). This position has the possibility of either being a Senior Business Development Officer or Business Development Manager depending upon the experience of the candidate. The Senior Business Development Officer will help design and execute the new business strategy for World Learning, specifically, the Senior BD Officer will articulate new business strategies, drive capture and proposal management, conduct partner outreach, facilitate design sessions, develop proposal calendars and compliance matrices, liaise with cost and pricing and recruitment, and support writing as needed. The Senior BD Officer will represent World Learning at business development related events, and otherwise, lead, facilitate or participate in every aspect of the BD cycle. They will manage multiple captures and proposals simultaneously while customizing application of best practices to the unique needs of each bid. The Senior BD Officer needs to be a problem solver and have critical thinking and decision-making skills to pivot on capture strategies and proposal processes as needed.
- 5 or more years of progressive experience in capture and proposal management with emphasis on USAID/USG procurement; Experience managing complex capture and proposal development teams;
- Experience with Shipley or equivalent capture and proposal development processes; Prior experience writing, running capture, and proposal coordinating USAID bids;
- A record of success in winning USG bids, in similar sectors and contexts as World Learning, required; prior experience in basic education, higher education, workforce development, civic engagement, gender and social inclusion or international exchanges preferred;
- High proficiency in the Microsoft Windows environment and Office Applications: Word, Excel and Power Point and SharePoint. Experience with Salesforce desirable. Interact with staff at all levels in a fast-paced environment;
- Able to present recommendations to Senior Management and to gain agreement for pursuit decisions. Able to leverage organizational, analytical, and management expertise;
- Proven ability to multi-task, and organize/prioritize multiple, complex on-going projects. Effective English oral, writing and presentation skills and experience with copyediting and production required;
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 30% for capture or live-bid trips when travel policies permit;
- French, Spanish, or Arabic skills desirable.
Capture & Design – 20%
- Plan and execute capture work, manage pre-bid preparations, including competitor analysis, partnering and local data collection strategies; and facilitate technical solution development;
- Create and manage capture plans and proposal calendars; meet pre-proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates; revise calendar as needed while preserving applications of best practices to assure that team member roles and responsibilities across each bid, align with benchmarks, deliverables and timelines in accordance with gate reviews;
- Create capture plans that strategically assess bids, draw on all available resources, and provide streamlined cost-to-win driven bid plans;
- Facilitate capture design sessions to assure contributions are relevant, competitive, metric-based and industry best-practices;
- Develop and cultivate relationships with technical specialists, subject-matter experts, and professional writers to contribute to technical solution designs, reviews, and analysis of proposals and business development strategy within the practice; Collaborate with technical teams to identify resources required to support capture or proposal effort; Interface with senior management to resolve issues that may jeopardize capture planning and/or submitting high quality proposals on time;
- Negotiate partnerships with other organizations (both prime and sub); represent World Learning in teaming negotiations as well as industry networks; and coach junior staff to do the same.
Proposal Development – 20%
- Analyze solicitations to determine bid requirements; develop compliance matrix and compliant and responsive outlines; and organize the team within 48 hours of solicitation release;
- Oversee robust process for development of deliverables between each set of gate-reviews; Support proposal team members in meeting responsibilities and deadlines.
- Review all drafts specifically to ensure compliance with all solicitation requirements; and cross check technical and budget proposals.
- Collaborate `with technical teams to identify resources required to support proposal effort; and interview contributors to develop and present the most competitive project design possible.
Reviews & Quality Control – 20%
- Manage post – submission schedule and activities through BAFO and negotiations until award; participate in debriefing of proposal process to inform continuous improvement.
- Manage formatting on all proposals at all gate reviews; conduct quality control of assigned proposals, facilitate production and submission to client; conduct copy editing on submissions as needed;
- Prepare color review materials; facilitate color review meetings; solicit reviewer recommendation; develop action plans to incorporate color review feedback in a timely basis.
- Facilitate bid decisions as to proceed, do not proceed, or proceed with condition based on evolving opportunity costs
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations of the funding agencies; developing and executing a cost/revenue strategy to be reflected in the proposal budget;
- Analyse bid performance to ensure lessons and conclusions are shared, and fed back into future bids.
Systems Management & Development – 20%
- Ensure use of capture and proposal best practices across a range of donors; support BD Officers and Associates and encourage teamwork, mentor and support multi-dept bid teams in developing an effective donor-focused and forward-thinking capture and proposal process;
- Direct adjustments to process and deadlines throughout capture and proposal based on specific needs of each bid; Recommend improvements to best practice capture and proposal job aids, templates and examples; Use Salesforce to maintain up to date information on each bid;
- Maintain strong relationships with WL program divisions and relevant external networks to share knowledge, collaborate effectively, influence senior leadership for sound and informed decisions, and stay abreast of industry standards and the USG regulatory environment.
Intelligence Gathering, Relationship Management, and Market Analysis – 20%
- Leverage networks within the industry for new partnerships; Maintain linkages with other organizations and individuals in the international arena with which World Learning frequently forms working partnerships and/or shares complementary interests and competencies;
- Stay abreast of current and future programmatic directions and funding prospects of USAID, the Department of State, other U.S. Government funding sources, and non-USG multi-/bi-lateral donors;
- Track business development forecasts; design and execute non-bid initiatives that advance our competitiveness; and contribute to pipeline development for a portfolio of sectors or countries.
- Work closely with recruiter to deepen our network of potential personnel for bid staffing needs;
- and assist with gate review decision making, to help refine and implement a business development strategy and pipeline for a portfolio of sectors and/or countries;
- Maintain opportunity records in Salesforce and develop appropriate systems, procedures, policies and materials to support the identification, selection and response to strategic opportunities;
Why World Learning Inc.
Eighty-seven years later, World Learning Inc. continues to lead worldwide efforts to foster empathy among people from different cultures. Our global nonprofit World Learning offers 79 global programs that improve education and employment opportunities around the world while promoting civic engagement and strengthening institutions. Our School for International Training offers study abroad programs to 2,200 students each year. And the Experiment in International Living has provided semester long homestays, service, and study opportunities to more than 70,000 students since its inception.
World Learning Inc. is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.