Program Development (approximately 45%)
- Identify new project opportunities related to civic engagement and governance;
- Lead technical design and proposal writing for new projects related to area of civic engagement and governance, in coordination with Director of Cross-sector Programming as well as other HQ and field staff. This includes field assessment/design missions, proposal writing, proposal review, proposal coordination, and coordination with local and international partners;
- Stay abreast of and advise World Learning on donor trends in CEG and share with relevant teammates across World Learning;
- Position World Learning with external stakeholders as a preferred partner for civic education and engagement and social accountability and governance programs; develop and maintain strong relationships with partners and donors;
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) team and other technical teams to develop and oversee the implementation of a technical learning agenda in CEG;
- Contribute to creating and implementing sector strategies for program development.
Program Implementation (approximately 35% LOE)
- Design and deliver technical assistance and complete deliverables for existing programs such as designing training curriculum and delivering trainings; conducting participatory program reviews or evaluations; providing technical advice and assistance to field teams to improve program outcomes and quality; Coordinate with Program Manager to ensure work aligns with overall program needs;
- Support research and learning agenda development that includes quantitative and qualitative research, research synthesis and analysis, and dissemination and use of new knowledge;
- Provide technical support in the development of reports, studies, and policy briefs related to CEG interventions and the scalability and sustainability of programs in CEG;
- Work closely with the MERL team to design/inform project M&E, advise on result and outcome level MEL for CEG; and contribute to measuring and achieving higher level CEG organizational goals and objectives;
- Prepare or assist with reports, work plans, MEL plans, and project deliverables in conjunction with HQ or field staff; meet with/respond to donors as required.
Outreach and Quality Promotion (approximately 15%)
- Liaise with external and internal stakeholders to increase World Learning's profile in the area of civic engagement and governance;
- Represent World Learning as a thought leader on panels at conferences, working groups, and other external engagements;
- Develop Working Papers and other products to share lessons learned and program impact;
- Document evidence-informed best practices, innovations, lessons learned and proven methodologies in civic engagement and governance
- Provide sector training to HQ and field staff;
- Participate in internal working groups and provide substansive recommendations.
Unit/Portfolio Leadership and Management Backstopping (approximately 5%)
- Represent CEG unit on behalf of Global Programs leadership when needed;
- Assist Director of Cross-sector Programming in creating unit strategy and annual plans and in ensuring unit meets or exceeds annual program-wide objectives and deliverables;
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Master’s degree in related field required; Ph.D. preferred;
- Seven to ten years of relevant experience in implementing democracy and governance, and civil society development programming;
- Strong knowledge of implementing programs for USAID, Department of State and other relevant donors;
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing civic education, policy advocacy, civic engagement, or governance programming in developing or transition countries;
- Experience leading needs assessments and analysis to inform programming and strategy using a range of appropriate methodologies (such as gender and social inclusion analysis, political economy analysis, conflict analysis, local system analysis, etc.);
- Strong understanding of effective monitoring and evaluation for civic engagement and governance programming; experience leading development of M&E Plans, Research and Learning Agendas, and program performance and/or impact studies. Understanding of appropriate methodologies for M&E and research activities;
- Experience designing, conducting and disseminating CEG-related research;
- Experience in proposal design, development, conceptualization and technical writing; Proven success winning proposals for donor funding;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proactive and effective networker, convener, and partnership builder;
- Ability to travel internationally, sometimes to sensitive environments;
- Commitment to inclusive programming that values full participation of stakeholders regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, race, disability status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Demonstrated experience with inclusive programming a plus.
- Fluency in one or more foreign languages, preferably French or Arabic;
- Two or more years living and working in a developing or transitioning country.
World Learning is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.