The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks an Assistant Program Officer for the Africa regional program team, with an emphasis on the East and Horn of Africa. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Assistant Program Officer will work colleagues on the management, administration, and development of grant programs in Africa.
- Assist in the evaluation of project proposals;
- Draft summaries of proposals for review at quarterly board meetings;
- Travel to the region on a regular basis to monitor projects and identify new projects;
- Provide support to Africa-related initiatives and events;
- Provide compliance guidance to existing grantees;
- Maintain contacts with organizations and individuals in the U.S. and abroad working to advance democracy and human rights.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Political Science, Anthropology or a related discipline; Master’s degree preferred;
- 3+ years of applicable experience is required;
- 2+ years of experience in democracy work is required.
- In-depth knowledge of political development and trends in Africa;
- Solid understanding of civil society issues and familiarity with civil society networks and organizations;
- Fluency in English is required; proficiency in other languages of the designated region is a benefit;
- Knowledge of program assessment techniques;
- Experience in grant-making and democratic development is desirable;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.